African Development Bank (AFDB)
ASSISTANT ADVISOR TO THE VICE PRESIDENT
African Development Bank (AFDB) Current 16 Jobs Posted – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
- Job Title: Assistant Advisor to the Vice-president
- Location: Outside Nigeria
- Job Type: Full-time
- Job Category: Banking and Finance
About the Position
- As part of the Front office of the Vice President, Human Resources and Corporate Services, the Assistant Advisor position plays an advisory role to support the Vice President in ensuring an effective and efficient management of the Vice Presidency work.
- In this capacity the incumbent of the position will prepare analyses, briefs and provide advice in supporting the Vice President in the process of developing, implementing and safeguarding Bank group policies, directives and guidelines as pertains to Human Resources and Corporate services management.
- The job holder will provide quality control for the delivery of the Human Resources and Corporate Services Vice Presidency work.
- Specifically, the position aims to strengthen the Vice-Presidency to improve its capacity to respond to institutional needs and deliver the corporate services in an effective and efficient manner.
Under the Supervision of the Vice President Human Resources and Corporate Services, the Assistant Advisor to the Vice-President will:
- Lead and offer solutions to the Vice President on staff appeals in consultation with other departments, Ethics office, Ombudsman and legal Department, in the interest of staff members and the Institution.
- Examine and respond to the concerns of staff members, in the strict observance of Bank rules and of confidentiality regarding their rights and conditions of service.
- Lead the processing of audit cycle exercise from audit planning, audit execution, audit exit meetings, review of preliminary audit reports for the preparation of comments for the final audit reports.
- Lead and offer support to the complex departments and units in preparation of Audit Action plans.
- Organize periodic meetings with complex departments to discuss and ensure the submission of periodic progress reports on the status of monitoring and follow up of outstanding audit recommendations and assist in the preparation of pertinent comments to address audit issues.
- Lead and follow up, monitor and advice the Vice President on the implementation of audit recommendations.
- Lead the preparation of implementation progress reports for the Vice President and the Board on the Audit recommendations.
Work Programmes and Their Executions:
- Assist the Vice President and the Advisor in planning and preparing the Human Resources and Corporate Services activities.
- Advice the Vice-President on strategic and corporate management matters.
- Advise in determining work programme priorities of Organizational Units under the Human Resources and Corporate Services complex to ensure they are mutually-reinforcing.
- Monitor the delivery of commitments from the complex organizational units, including commitments to the Boards, Senior Management as well as monitoring work programmes and assignments of Organizational Units.
- Alert the Vice-President on major impending deadlines or matters related to the execution of the work programmes and assignments.
- Prepares quarterly reports, destined to the President or Board, on status of work programmes when prescribed.
- Advice on Human Resources and Corporate Services Policies, Strategies and Guidelines
- Advise on and contribute to the initiation, development and review of the Bank Group’s corporate policies, rules, regulations, processes and standards and advise in monitoring their implementation.
- Provide advice on applicable guidelines or adapt known precedent and innovate solutions where guidelines or applicable precedents do not exist.
- Examine and respond to the concerns of staff members, in the strict observance of Bank rules and of confidentiality regarding their rights and conditions of service; offer solutions in consultation with the Human Resources and Legal Departments, both in the interest of staff member and the Institution.
- Assist in the review of the fiduciary, judiciary controls, and governance framework related to the Human Resources and Corporate Services’ operations.
- Review contracts and human resource issues, as well as procurement, information technology, business continuity, medical and language services issues to ensure effectiveness and compliance with Bank Group policies, rules, regulations, procedures, and fiduciary controls.
- Evaluate the continued applicability of existing Bank policies and guidelines to provide suggestions and recommendations to the Vice-President on amendments.
Review of Position Papers, Proposals and Follow-Up on Key Actions:
- Review all incoming correspondence, documents, etc. received by the Office of the Vice President and advice on the actions to be taken.
- Review papers, notes or Board documents and correspondences from Heads of Organizational Units and provide advice and comments, as requested by the Vice President.
- Prepare concise analytic summaries of major policy, planning, and administrative documents submitted to the Vice President and advice on key actions.
- Study proposals and provide advice and comments to the Vice President for decision.
- Maintain close liaison with the Advisors to other Vice Presidents, the President, and Executive Directors in matters requiring follow-up action, and generally with the view to facilitate the working relationship of these centres of policy formulation and application.
- Budget Preparation and Execution/Participation In Meetings
- As required, attend the meetings of the Boards and their Committees and of key interdepartmental Committees.
- Advise the Vice President on key issues or any matters raised at these meetings which require his attention or action on the part of a Department reporting to him.
- Ensure that the budgets for Organizational Units under the Human Resources and Corporate Services complex are prepared and executed accordingly and facilitate any required movements; coordinate periodic reporting on budget implementation.
- Participate in the weekly Vice-Presidential Management Team meeting; prepare the issues paper, as necessary, advise on actions,
- Schedule and coordinate all preparations for meetings of the Human Resources and Corporate Servicescomplex Management team, preparing reports/minutes of such meetings and periodic situation on pending issues; and ensure required follow-up action.
- Undertake specific assignments, solely or as a member of task forces, including organizational/policy and procedural, as requested by the Vice President; and participate in the Vice President’s meetings with visiting delegations.
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s or its equivalent in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Business Administration, Finance, Public Sector Management, Law, Social Sciences, Economics, or related discipline related to the responsibilities described above.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant and progressive experience, acquired preferably from a reputable organization in the areas related to the Human Resources and Corporate Services complex operations and their management;
- Experience should encompass management and support of the organizational transformation of the Human Resources and Corporate Services complex; demonstrated skills on technical, organizational, management and logistical coordination, in support to the Bank’s operations, and handling of personnel and corporate issues especially in the unforeseen situation of a crisis and emergency.
- Certification in Audit, investigations, Human Resources, Procurement and Finance.
- Integrity, efficiency and discretion in handling of the Human Resources and Corporate Services complex dossiers, most of them being of sensitive and confidential nature.
- Client and results oriented individual holding “a can do attitude”.
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help them build their confidence and skills to deal with HR issues.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficient in the use of standard MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Practical knowledge of SAP systems will be an advantage
- Interested and qualified candidates should click the link below to apply.
- All applications must be completed and submitted online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further correspondence.
If you have any question to ask or you need more information about AFDB, kindly drop them below..